In some cases, you can cure or reverse TMJ symptoms by adopting certain good habits. First, of course, it’s essential to talk to your Northport, NY, dentist to gauge your level of TMJ and the cause. Attempting to cure TMJ on your own may make it worse. However, your dentist may suggest tips to help after evaluating you.
What Is TMJ and TMJ Therapy in Northport, NY
TMJ stands for temporomandibular joint and usually refers to disorders of this joint. It is the hinge-like structure located near the lower ear that connects the lower jaw and allows for its movement. The symptoms can be mild to severe when something goes wrong with the joint.
Symptoms of TMJ disorder include:
- A clicking sound in the jaw joint when you yawn or chew
- Painful or uncomfortable chewing, yawning, or speaking
- Locking or stiff jaw
- Ear, neck, head, or shoulder pain
- Bulky or muscular appearing lower jaw if bruxism (teeth grinding) is the culprit
Of course, we offer TMJ therapy, including suggested exercises and oral appliance treatment, and have had good results. Additionally, you can ask your dentist for tips to reduce symptoms or restore jaw joint health.
Potential TMJ Relief Tips
- #1 Rest your jaw whenever possible, keeping it in a slack or relaxed position.
- #2 Maintain good posture to reduce skeletal stress.
- #3 Exercise your jaw, sticking to the movements recommended by your dentist.
- #4 Take measures to reduce stress, if possible, leading to bruxism.
- #5 Apply hot and cold compresses to the TMJs periodically.
- #6 Get a good night’s sleep as often as possible.
- #7 If your dentist prescribes a nightguard, be sure to wear it.
If you suspect bruxism or TMJ disorder, it’s essential to seek answers as soon as possible to prevent the worsening of your symptoms. Contact our dental office today to schedule a consultation and evaluation with the dentist.