If you have oral surgery, your aftercare instructions will vary based on procedure type. However, your Northport dentist will provide advice and instructions to promote a quick and straightforward recovery.
Oral Surgery in Northport, NY
Your dentist recommends oral surgery for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to:
- Wisdom tooth removal
- Decayed or broken tooth removal
- TMJ surgery
- Dental implant placement
Wisdom tooth removal is necessary if you have an impacted or encroaching third molar; these are teeth located at the back of the mouth that may erupt in the late teens or early twenties. You don’t need these teeth to eat or smile, so we recommend removal if they cause you problems.
In some cases, we can treat and save deeply decayed or broken teeth with dental crowns, but if the damage is too significant, your dentist recommends extraction followed by tooth replacement.
TMJ surgery is a way to restore function to the temporomandibular joint when it stops functioning correctly. This joint connects your lower jaw to your skull and allows for chewing, yawning, and speaking.
Dental placement, like our other surgeries, is image-guided for precision. An implant is a tooth root replacement that integrates into the jaw during the months following surgical placement.
What Not to Do After Dental Surgery
Again, your aftercare instructions will vary, but as a rule, we recommend the following:
- Rinse with warm salt water for a few days to keep the site clean. It would be best if you allowed the water to run out of your mouth. Spitting can dislodge a needed blood clot.
- It would be best if you avoid smoking for a day to two because it can dislodge a needed blood clot and slow healing.
- Stick to soft foods like mashed potatoes, soup, applesauce, and ice cream for the first few days. Don’t bite down on hard candy or similar foods.
- Follow all aftercare instructions and call your dentist if you have questions.
For Oral Surgery in Northport, NY, Contact Us
If you have questions about an upcoming surgery or aftercare, contact our dental office. Additionally, if you notice problematic wisdom teeth emerging and causing you pain, it’s essential to let your dentist know as soon as possible.